EduCare Financial Aid Workshop
You can afford college! This page includes an overview of the different types of financial aid as well as helpful resources for scholarships, FAFSA and more!
4 SOURCES OF FINANCIAL AID
- Federal Aid
- State Aid
- Institutional (College) Aid
- Private (Individuals and Organizations)
4 TYPES OF FINANCIAL AID
- Scholarships (Gift Aid)
- Grants (Gift Aid)
- Work-Study (Student Contribution)
- Loans (Student and Parent Contribution
AB-540 AND DREAM ACT
Who Files for Dream Act?
Students who meet the requirements of AB-540:
- Attend a California High School for at least 3 years.
- Graduate from a California High School or equivalent (GED).
- Enroll in an accredited California college or University.
- Sign an affidavit pledging to apply for permanent residency as soon as possible. Or California students who have applied for or received approval for deferred action (DACA).
Steps to apply for the Dream Act:
- Complete your Dream Act application at www.csac.ca.gov
- Sign and complete a Cal Grant GPA verification form.
- Sign the Dream Act application or request our parent PIN.
Helpful Items to have for Dream Act Application Assistance:
- Father’s/Mother’s individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN), if he/she has one.
- Federal income tax forms and W2 forms (other records of money earned).
- Documentation of investments, if applicable.
RESOURCES FOR SCHOLARSHIPS AND FINANCIAL AID
Applying for Financial Aid:
www.fafsa.ed.gov -FAFSA online
www.calgrants.org -The official Cal Grant website
www.fafsa4caster.ed.gov -Estimate financial aid
http://priofileonline.collegeboard.com -CSS (Profile registration for exclusive private schools)
www.simpletuition.com/home -Use this site to compare student loan options
Online Financial Aid Updates
www.csac.ca.gov/types/grants-scholarships/pell -Federal Pell Grant Program
www.nasfaa.org -National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators
www.hsf.net -Hispanic Scholarship Fund
www.latinocollegedollars.org -Many scholarships for undocumented students
www.ladori.org -Latino Scholars for Dollars
www.collegegreenlight.com -For first-generation and underrepresented students
www.princetonreview.com -Complete a questionnaire and search. Helpful in finding scholarships for individual schools.
www.collegeanswer.com -Good general info about financial aid & scholarships based on need
www.scholarships.com -Provides both financial aid and scholarship information
www.asianpacificfund.org/scholarships -Directed at Asian students
AVOID SCHOLARSHIP SCAMS!